Friday 29 April 2011

What a wonderful day!
And as I'm so patriotic I'm going to tell you about our Bakewell Pudding dessert.
I think the colors are quite fitting, don't you?
It was, I think, made by mistake, at the now named Rutland Arms Hotel.
It sounds a bit like France's "tart Tatin". This was named after the Tatin sisters who dropped an apple tart and then served it upside down, with the caramelised apples on top.
Quite difficult to make correctly, as I found out when I was working at the Ritz, it is also brilliant in it's simplicity!
Anyway back to sunny Bakewell.
Down the road at East Lodge we tried to recreate the flavors of this lovely British pudding but giving a new, rather sexy, look and presentation.
We serve warm almond sponge cakes, that are made with hazelnut butter and apricot jam, which gives them a wonderful chewiness. An almond milk sorbet is made by infusing ground almonds with milk and stock syrup and then churned.
We make strawberry juice and then set it with gelatine and also reduce some for a glaze.
An iced vanilla custard parfait is made in the classical way, frozen, cut into rounds and then rolled in ground almond praline powder.
Disks of butter puff pastry are rolled ultra thin with lots of icing sugar, pressed and baked between baking sheets until nice and crisp.
I'm faffing around with our new de-hydrator trying to make some strawberry crisps for another garnish as well.
A couple of mint sprigs, some thin vanilla custard and chopped pistachios complete the dish.
Gosh I'm worn out now, think I forgot how much went into this simple taste of Bakewell.
Wait until you hear about my new sweet tomato dessert! Perhaps if I mess it up it will become a classic as well.
I'm off for a glass of Champagne now!

No comments:

Post a Comment