Saturday 30 April 2011

So a weekend of weddings and so far its all going great!
Good choice of canapes and food today at East Lodge.
One of the canapes served was steak tartare with duck liver parfait on black pudding wafers.
A bit of a play on the classic "Rossini". A fantastic dish using beef fillet, foie gras, truffles and Madeira sauce.
Named after the composer its a very rich dish and nowadays most chefs use seared duck liver, however this is incorrect.
It should use a pate of duck livers, with the beef served upon a brioche crouton.
I like it with braised endive, its bitterness cuts the richness of the dish.
Main course was loin of pork. I thought we would cook it in the water bath today.
I stripped it of all its fat, cooked for it for an hour and it was perfect. We scored the skin and baked it in the oven, cut it into strips and baked it again to produce perfect crackling.
Normally I wouldn't cook pork loin like this but it really helps for a wedding as I have more control over keeping the meat moist. Our guests often like to take their time getting to the dining room, and with todays weather I don't blame them!
With a garnish of celeriac puree, a saute of Jersey Royals. girolles and celery leaves it was a nice spring main course. I was going to roll the pork in mushroom ash but I'm still working on that one!
Restaurant Noma has a lot to answer for!
Ok its our most popular wedding pudding - an assiette of British summertime. Its a Pimm's jelly with cucumber and mint, chilled caramelised rice pudding tartlet with raspberries, a little clotted cream and red fruit ice cream and Eton mess parfait.
Its fun but I'm going to swop the ice cream for a small summer pudding.
I think there is too much ice cream on the dish.
Ok thats about it.
Sunday tomorrow and we won't be using the water bath at all, just a very hot oven, some of Derbyshire's finest meat and lots of beef dripping!

Right, Dirty Harry is on, where is my glass of claret?

No comments:

Post a Comment