Sunday 24 April 2011

So I was trying to find out what dishes were going to be served at the Royal Wedding Breakfast on Friday, but no-one is giving anything away!
But I'm not sure if they planned it for the food but it's a great time of year.
Up in Derbyshire there are lambs everywhere, just waiting to be roasted for an Easter Sunday delight!
Asparagus is in full swing and there is plenty of wild garlic so thats their main course sorted!
I'm using Suffolk Down lamb with wild garlic puree at East Lodge at the moment.
We bone a short saddle, trim it right back and cook it in the water bath at 61 oc for 15 minutes. Ik keeps it very pink and juicy.
We dice the trimmings and mix with lambs kidneys and blanched sweetbreads. Rolled up in a suet pastry and steamed at 85 oc for five hours this is my world famous lamb "roly poly". We also braise, very slowly for twenty four hours, lamb breast. This is then pressed overnight, cut into cubes and breadcrumbed, ready to be deep fried.
The lamb is served with a smoked onion compote, blanched sweet pickled onions, whole roasted round shallots and glazed spring onions.
Textures of the onion family you see!
We finish a reduced lamb jus with some rendered lamb fat with gives an excellent fullness to the sauce, parsley and chopped shallots.
With a spoon of wild garlic puree it makes a nice Easter dish. I might start using some young carrots in a couple of weeks to make a lighter gernish.

And just think that is only one dish that I have to remember - never thought I had it in me!

No comments:

Post a Comment