Wednesday 1 June 2011

So then, did you all know that fish and chips might, actually, be good for you?
And before you all start thinking I'm talking a load of old cods wallop just hold a minute.
The perfectly cooked fillet of cod in the picture is, in fact, steamed. So therefore its one of the healthiest  things to eat!
Not so sure about the batter, chips and chunky tartare sauce though!
By dipping the lightly floured fillet of fish in a beer batter and plunging into red hot fat,  it creates an air tight seal and so the fish starts releasing moisture, which cannot escape, and so cooks the fish.
What a brilliant idea and when done well is a real treat.
The problem I have with fish and chips is that the batter will start to go soggy, this is because whatever is inside will continue to release steam.
Like anything deep fried it should be served, piping hot, straight from the fryer, so even though fish and chips is great for a lunchtime dish I wanted to find a way of serving this Great British classic to our dinner guests.
So the idea of the soon to be world famous "inside out" fish and chips was born!
I wanted to serve all the elements of the dish but as a starter, and of course, in a lighter more modern way.

So we made a mousse with some lightly salted cod fillet, and steamed some cod fillet at 55 oc for 15 minutes. This will allow me to have big beautiful
translucent flakes of fish. Thinly sliced potatoes were baked in the oven for the "chips".
Disks of sweet confit tomato are topped with baby capers and baby pickled onions as a nod to the tartare sauce.
Pea puree and home made spicy tomato syrup are dotted around the dish to add freshness.

We made a malt vinegar jelly as well, but I think it was too powerful, overpowering the cod, so I'm going to work on a different palette cleanser.
I like a coke or lemonade with my fish supper, so I thought about doing a sweet and salty frozen lemon granita, served in a glass, topped up with soda water.
I think the acidity will really sharpen up the fish and chips and, of course, help it remain true to its roots!

And, finally, the batter.
Its the whole point of the dish you see!
So all I do is fry very thin, light, wafers of beer batter.
I'm going to use beef dripping when it goes on the menu next week.
And you know, the batter will never go soft or soggy.
Guaranteed . Never. I promise!

So, there you are, it will become world famous.
I'm even thinking of going on The Apprentice to show those jokers how to do it!

Right, thats it, I'm off for a bacon sandwich, I'll tell you about Sophie's amazing cherry crumble next time.


      
                                                                                  

No comments:

Post a Comment