Wednesday 8 June 2011

So, as last weeks blog was telling everyone about how fish and chips, could in fact, be good for you I thought I'd share something slightly more, well, bad for you!

Roasted marrow bones are, in my opinion, a fantastic way to start a Sunday evening supper. Scooped out and spread on garlic rubbed sour dough bread, some capers and sea salt it reminds me of my time in Paris when we would eat them prepared the same way, as they were so cheap!

Fergus Henderson, of St John fame, really put them on the map over here though.  I've spent many afternoons at the bar there, supping a few pints of Guinness, munching Welsh Rarebit and enjoying his roasted beef bones on toast. A few ice cold oysters turn a Friday afternoon snack into a feast!

No oysters for me last Sunday, although Sophie did make a wonderful cherry crumble. With lashings of cold vanilla custard it really hit the spot.

We cooked the cherries with some sugar and a splash of brandy, to start releasing the juices. With some corn flour mixed in, its a really quick way to make a fruit compote or pie filling.
Meanwhile butter was rubbed into flour and sugar, spread out on a baking dish and baked in a medium oven.
Allowed to cool down, and then broken up it makes an easy, ready to use crumble topping.
Sometimes I churn it into ice cream for a crumble ice cream, sometimes I just eat it on its own, straight from the oven!
This allows us to keep the topping nice and crisp, and of course, if you have some fruit compote around you are never more than 10 minutes away from pudding!

So, as always, it got me thinking about how I could get cherry crumble on the dessert menu at East Lodge.

As our "Hot Pudding" we made some very thin pastry cases, filled them with hot cherry compote and covered them with our now famous crumble topping.

Garnished with a cherry puree, some griottine cherries, cherry syrup and an Amaretto and pistachio praline ice cream, it proved a summertime winner on Monday night!

And its rather pretty isn't it?



So, there you are,  my Sunday night supper, somehow ended up on the menu at East Lodge, good eh!

Right that's it, I'm off to prepare dinner, curry tonight and I'll tell you about our international buffets next time.

Sophie wants to watch a film about dancing black ducks tonight so I'd better get cracking.

Or should I say quacking!!

No comments:

Post a Comment