Wednesday 22 June 2011

Its a bit sad really, but its going to start getting darker now.

And the British asparagus season is over, so thats it for another year!

I've just had my final portion, steamed and rolled in the juices of a very fine rib eye steak.
I made a gratin of sliced potatoes, layered with sliced shallots, garlic and cheese.
Each layer was seasoned correctly with salt and pepper and brushed with melted butter.

It was baked for an hour and rested for another half.

 I'm not sure I'd ever say this but it would have been just as nice without the steak!

Although for the impending long dark nights, a couple of plump pork sausages would be a nice garnish!

Anyway, there I was getting all depressed about the end of summer and these bad boys came along!

How wonderful are these going to be on our Summer menu?

I love tomatoes and I wanted to do these ones justice.
And, although perfect,  dressed with the usual suspects of olive oil, Balsamic and basil, I fancied something a little more funky.

Oh, and by the way, tomatoes should never be served fridge cold, always allow them to come to room temperature first. Their taste will improve ten fold.

So after starting with an idea to serve them with some North African seasonings, I moved slightly over to the right and thought about the sub - continent.  Their sweet flesh loves spices, and with a garnish of smoky tomato marmalade, some cooling thick strained yoghurt, mustard and onion seed dressing and dried aubergine crisps, it make a refreshing, colorful starter.

And even one I would eat!

And I'm sorry for all the pictures tonight but from the right angle I think it looks like an amazing landscape somewhere far away!

And I'm not drunk, yet, anyway!

So after feeling a little bit sad today, what with the asparagus season over and too much tennis on television,  I've discovered that some dishes don't always need an 18 oz steak to make them better, that summer is not over yet , and with a little imagination we can create new planets to marvel at.

Brian Cox would be amazed!!

Right thats it, I'm off to enjoy summer, its a hog roast at tomorrow nights wedding at East Lodge so  I might even enjoy a cider as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment