Sunday 8 May 2011

So, just finished mowing the lawn and having a perfectly chilled glass of wine, now that the lamb is in the oven.
Its from Chatsworth this week, only because David up at Highfield House Farm decided to have a lazy Sunday afternoon,  and it was all locked up when I got there after lunch service.
So I went to Sainsbury's and all they had was New Zealand lamb, and being such a good local lad, I thought I would try to get some Derbyshire meat. Hopefully it will be amazing, I'll let you know later.
Baked on a couple of sliced onions, thyme and garlic, and still on the bone, for a couple of hours, then rested, its my favorite lazy Sunday dinner! Served with the usual suspects of Jersey Royals, English asparagus and some baby carrots. No pub tonight though, after a brilliant night down there on Friday I think I'll leave it a few more days before my return!
You know, its interesting how we have made food portable. So even though I didn't want my dinner from "down under" tonight I do love food that has a history of making some sort of journey.
We all know how salmon spawn, swimming thousands of miles, back to the freshwater streams, to finally reach their end. Perhaps one or two might end up being smoked!
So not only do salmon swim across oceans when alive, by a simple curing and cold smoking, we can then transport again! Intensifying their flavor and prolonging their shelf life.
We now use a dry cure, then dry for 24 hours and finally cold smoke for about 10 hours.
As you can see the smoked fish is quite a lot smaller, as a result of the moisture lost during the process, making, I think,  a perfect Rowsley cure smoked salmon.
As you will also see a razor sharp knife is needed to slice the salmon paper thin.
Brown bread, butter, black pepper and lemon are my favorite garnishes.
I'm going to use it for canapes on Tuesday night dinner at East Lodge as we have quite a few very important diners coming!
And I'm going to change the whole menu - wish me luck!
Oh and we're starting the tasting menu as well, think I need another drink!

No comments:

Post a Comment