Wednesday 4 May 2011

I love the idea of being able to get my hands on something to eat, anytime of day.
You know, how much of a pain it must of been,  not to be able to satisfy those hunger pangs.
The Great British Afternoon Tea was born out of the same craving for food.
So, and as a result of that,  I was presented with 101 afternoon tea sets this morning!
And, yes I know its a little bit gay, but hey come on, its still pretty good.
You know when we break it down, an English menu really does tick all the boxes, what with the best breakfast in the world, Sunday lunches and then afternoon tea, who on earth needs dinner?
Well, actually, I still do! But more of that later.
I think afternoon tea was born out of the hunger pangs of the Ladies in Waiting.
I don't know what they were waiting for, their dinner, one presumes!
Around 4 in the afternoon they would become hungry and as dinner was not going to be served until sometime around 8,  they fancied a light snack.
So a Victoria sponge cake fitted the bill, as did a rather new invention, the Sandwich!
And now at East Lodge we spend lots of time making sure that people, for whom time isn't an issue, never feel light headed through a lack of food.
What with smoking our own salmon, baking scones, ensuring we have plenty of clotted cream and strawberry jam, I like to think that after our afternoon tea, they will be able to last until dinner!
So what with all our new tea sets I just have to make sure that the cakes and pastries will do them justice!







Oh, a quick work about the tea.
And it should be tea, by the way! A strong classical blend is my choice, nothing too floral, and a glass of Champagne isn't a bad addition either!

No comments:

Post a Comment